Random geek girl thoughts

Monday, March 29, 2010

The Birthday "Fake-Out"


My son Calvin has wanted a pogo stick FOREVER! But I made it sound like he would NEVER get one. I told him they don't make them anymore, and if they did... you would have to special order it, and even then it would be WAY too expensive for us to afford. lol

So I made a decoy pogo stick to give him for his birthday. After the boys were done opening their presents, Calvin realized he had less presents than Jude, and suddenly became sad. So I told him I got him something special... his face lit up with excitement. So I went into the back room and got the decoy pogo stick and hid it behind my back. I then asked Calvin, "What do you want the MOST that you haven't gotten yet?" He yelled, "A POGO STICK!!!!" That's when I pulled the decoy out from behind my back excitedly and yelled... here it is. His face suddenly dropped. I then tried to keep my excitement up without laughing. "We couldn't afford one, so I MADE YOU ONE! Isn't it great?!?" His face fell even more, but he attampted a half smile for my benefit.
I told him to try it out, and I handed it to him. (Knowing full-well that it would snap under his weight) As he held it out, slowly said, "I dont think this will...work...mom."
"Just try it!" I encouraged repeatedly.
So he jumped on it with trepidation and it instaly snapped. He just held it looking sad. Poor little guy. He was a trooper though, and looked up and said, "Thanks mom" as sincerely as possible, not wanting to hurt my feelings. I couldn't take it anymore, and had to pull out the REAL surprise. So I ran in the back, grabbed the real pogo stick and told him to try "THIS" instead and held it out. I have never seen Calvin more excited. It was fun and we all had a good laugh.



1 comment:

Mychelle said...

I'm so glad I got to be there for that. It was so evil. Calvin was such a good sport about it.