Random geek girl thoughts

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Your Drug Problem... EXPOSED

This Is Your Television

Annoying right? Were you even able to finish the whole video? Sadly, your television assaults you with the same kind of annoyances, and you sit idly by... flipping through channel after channel of NOISE. Because that's all it ever really is. NOISE! I will be forever grateful for my mother and father pulling the plug on us kids back in the day. They dared us to go off of TV for a whole year when we were kids. In that year, we imagined, played outside, read books and truly lived. It was such a successful experiment, that my mother and father challenged us children to give up TV completely until after we graduated from high school and they would, in turn, award all 7 of us children $1000 dollars each. We did, and our grades went up, our social lives grew, we joined sports, none of us were obese and we actually lived life to the fullest. I did it with my children as well, and there has NEVER been one negative side effect to taking a TV out of a home.

To quote one of my all time favorite movies, Auntie Mame:

"Life is a banquet.... and most poor suckers are STARVING to death!"




3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Auntie Mame’s quote most certainly speaks the truth, as well as it bringing a smile to my face. You’re correct in your observation and experience in life. We’re all spoiled in the advancement of technology. I also remember when TV was given permission to be turned on and enter our family’s home life so it’s not foreign to me to be without a television, even at this point in time. I’m a writer, with a first book entering into the Marketplace by Year’s End 2010, titled Mommy’s Writings. It’s a true story and its genre is Christian biography. It will give you a different perspective on life. So it is, perhaps, I do feel a kinship with your insightful article. I agree with you, there are so many wonderful things in life to learn and yet too experience. Isn’t life best served in moderation? This way we have more time to enjoy the best things in life.

Suzanne McMillen-Fallon, Published Author
www.strategicbookpublishing.com/Mommy, would you like a sandwich?

Butterfly Frogs said...

i looked

Ice Cream said...

This is brilliant!!!